Dr Derek A. Peden
Design LED Products Ltd.
2009 - Present
June 2016 - Present
Responsible for business process and technical innovation, reporting directly to CEO. Directing the company’s strategy for Innovation. Leadership of the Innovation Group, R&D projects, and the delivery of the commercialisation of the IP portfolio.
- Project management of business critical, market-driven innovation projects
- Delivery of Innovation roadmap, on both customer and market aligned Deliverables
- Definition of collaborative R&I projects, setting Objectives, Deliverables and Milestones
- Building consortia, working with industrial and academic partners, from multi-national end-users to University research groups
- Writing and supporting proposals for public funding, identify project budget, challenges, risks and opportunities for dissemination & exploitation
- Management and Development of the company’s 50+ patent portfolio
- Author on smart lighting patent, granted August 2018.
- Creation of the Innovation Strategy, delivery of Innovation tactical execution plan, leadership and management of the Innovation Group.
- Integration of the Innovation plan across all areas of the business, delivery of milestones aligned to the Business Plan.
- The integration of internal and external resources to meet key deliverables.
- Management of resources and income from external grant sources to accelerate innovation and commercial growth and profitability.
- Creation of value from an emerging IP portfolio via ownership, definition and execution of the internal IP harvesting process.
- Identifying opportunities for funding of Innovation activities.
- Collaboration with Research & Technology Organisations (RTOs), University’s, and company’s, through a program of Open Innovation.
Product Development Manager
Jan 2015 - June 2016
Management of Product Development activity in line with Product Roadmap, to launch products which meet performance, cost and launch time targets.
- Creation of Product Development Team, hiring engineering talent
- Launch of company’s own products, aimed at demonstrating capability
- Definition & implementation of New Product Introduction process
- Leadership of product design engineering team.
- Delivery of the product roadmap, both core product internally driven to market requirements and custom modules to meet customer application requirements.
- Ownership of the product development budget.
- Implementation of robust test and development process, supported by external test labs and engineers.
Customer Applications Engineer
June 2009 - Jan 2015
Technical support to Sales through the evaluation of customer enquiries, determining customer requirements and the fit to Design LEDs technology. Identifying customer requirements, working with engineers and contractors to deliver solutions which meet or exceed customer requirements.
- Technical lead on all Sales Opportunities
- Coordinated companies presence and marketing collateral for international trade shows
- Introduction and integration of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system
- Defining and managing an effective technical enquiry management process.
- Technical and engineering ownership for customer enquiries.
- Internal management of technical solutions.
- Project management and technical interface with customer.
- Co-ordination of technical proposals to customers.
Honeywell Sensing & Control
2002 - 2009
2006 - 2009
Engineering support to Aerospace and Automotive sensor products, components and assemblies for a Global customer base.
Project Management of customer focussed projects targeted at automation and efficiency improvements.
- Project managed a £300k capacity expansion of an automotive sensor production line.
- Project managed the planned relocation of a £7M/year manufacturing facility.
- Lead engineer for Automotive and Aerospace product lines.
- Coordination of product revision and NPI programs, engineering change orders, drawing revisions, with EMEA and North American engineering and manufacturing.
2002 - 2006
Determination and implementation of optimum process conditions to improve yield, margin, lead time and quality.
- Lead engineering role in the site transfer of manufacturing line, reshoring production from a European to UK site
- Manufacturing yield and process capability improvements
- Lead engineer for Aerospace inductive proximity sensor product lines.
- Management and actions on Value Engineering projects for sensors products.
- Support to production, process engineering and integrated supply chain personnel.
2001 - 2002
Process Development Engineer
Process experimentation and optimisation of the SME’s ferroelectric liquid crystal microdisplays.
- Lead engineer on co-development of fLC alignment process….
- Design and implementation of experiments targeting performance and yield improvements
- Small-scale clean room processing
- Optoelectronic evaluation, closing process development loop
National Physical Laboratory
1999 - 2001
Higher Research Scientist
R&D of novel approaches to metrology using absolute approaches, aimed at removing statistical estimation in existing metrological instrumentation.
University of Strathclyde
1992 - 1999
PhD, Applied Physics
Josephson Noise Thermometry with High Temperature Superconducting Devices